City Council Meeting
City of Carmi
January 6th, 2015
The Carmi City Council met Tuesday January 6th, 2015 at 7:00 p.m. in the Council Room of the Municipal Building, 225 East Main Street, Carmi, Illinois.
Prior to opening the council meeting, Mayor Pollard asked Alderman Steve Winkleman to give the invocation. The prayer was followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.
Mayor Pollard presided with the following Aldermen present: Steve Winkleman, Mark W. Blake, Keith Davis, Kenny Carter, Sheila Jo Headlee, Doug Hays, Jack Lamont and Mike Knight.
Minutes for the December 16th, 2014 council meeting were presented. Motion made by Alderman Knight and seconded by Alderman Davis to approve the minutes as presented. The motion carried on roll call by each Alderman answering “yes.”
Mayor Pollard asked the council to consider the renewal of the agreement with Mutual Medical Plans, Inc. to serve as the City of Carmi’s third party administrator for the health insurance plan. Mr. Jeremy Billington representing Mutual Medical noted the following:
2014 Plan Cost Review
- Total Plan Costs for the 10 month period ending 11/30/14 was $660,613
- 2014 Projected Annualized Plan Costs based on cost as of 11/30 is $720,668 (9.2% decrease from 2013)\
- Dental claims increased 83% over last year.
- Vision Claims increased 43% over last year.
- Medical Claims decreased 12% over last year (no individual exceeded the stop loss deductible as of 11/30/14)
- RX Claims decreased 22% over last year.
- Fixed Cost (admin/HL fee, Symetra premium) decreased 9% over last year.
- Estimated total plan savings since 2010 is $1,194,501
- Renewal based on November 2014 enrollment of 63 covered employees
- Proposal keeps the current year’s Individual Stop Loss deductible of $40,000 + $24,000 IAD the same for 2015
- No increase to Aggregate Stop Loss Premium
- No increase to Aggregate Claim Factor
- No increase to the Individual Stop Loss Premium
- 2015 Total Maximum Annual Plan Costs = $980,280
There was no discussion by the Alderman concerning the renewal with Mutual Medical Plans, Inc. Motion made by Alderman Blake and seconded by Alderman Davis to approve the renewal as presented. The motion carried on roll call by each Alderman answering “yes.”
Reports and/or updates from Mayor Pollard
Reports from Supervisor Mike Buckman
Every department within the city has completed an inventory. David Coston, City Electrical Engineer will be at next meeting to give an update on the SCADA system and buss repairs at the Light Plant. Recently all utility poles not in use were cataloged for removal. Upgrades at Evergreen Acres and Edgewood utility poles are to be completed soon. The library needs several outside can lights replaced. Third and Shipley Motor Fuel Tax project will be finished as soon as the weather breaks, the winter weather has shut down most projects. Survey at South industrial Drive for new road to Highway 14 to be completed soon. Implementing a system for storm drains to be cleaned on a regular basis. Talked to each department foreman to get a plan of action in each Ward for 2015. Epworth Road at Jummpin Jimmy’s will be looked at after the winter weather breaks.
Reports from Standing Committees
Alderman Headlee thought the Christmas Lights were fantastic this year.
Alderman Winkleman announced the Carmi Public Library will be celebrating their 100th anniversary on June 28th and 29th with several exciting events to take place.
Business or Comments from Visitors
Motion was made by Alderman Headlee and seconded by Alderman Winkleman to go into closed session to discuss old landfill litigation with no action to follow. The motion carried on roll call by each alderman answering “yes.”
At 7:19 p.m. council went into closed session.
Motion made by Alderman Hays and seconded by Alderman Knight to return to open session and adjourn. The motion carried on roll call by each Alderman answering “yes.”
At 8:36 p.m. the council adjourned.
Brian K. Allen, City Clerk
Jeff Pollard, Mayor